Thursday 21 October 2010

Understanding Punk Genre

Music movement started in the 70's with multiple reasons and causes. The British movement supposedly was started by one of the following: The ecnomic disaster that occured in the mid seventies, and the youth's lack of patience with the british government. A movement made out of boredom by Johnny Rotten, lead singer of the Sex Pistols.

The Sex Pistols are an English punk rock band that formed in London in 1975. They are responsible for initiating the punk movement in the United Kingdom and inspiring many later punk and alternative rock musicians. Inspired by the poverty in their area and ignorance of the goverment at the time, they produced songs that shocked the nation showing something different to all.

After looking at music videos by other punk bands like the Sex Pistols such as The Clash I noticed most of them do not feature a narrative, Punk videos are usually performance based throughout. 'Anarchy in the UK' is an example of a performance based video, my music video will be a change as it is both narrative and performance based. Pink Floyd's 'Another Brick in the Wall' is another punk video based on rebellion against the education which I looked at for inspiration, the kids in the video go totally wild and destroy school equipment which I found exciting.

I also looked at new wave punk bands such as Sum 41. Their video 'Motivation' is performance based and inspired me as it is shot in a small bedroom with lots of high angle, low angle shots and the use of a peep hole camera, it seems as if there is a hidden camera in the room.

Whilst looking at the style of these bands I noticed key features such as spiked up hair, wristbands, studded belts and torn clothing. To get the correct mise en scene for my video I will use this kind of style on the band and lead character in my video.

No comments:

Post a Comment