Friday 15 October 2010

Pitch

After looking on MySpace I didn’t find a song that I would like to use so I looked at the songs on my recent playlist. After going through songs I noticed the Sex Pistols have a message that is relevant to the idea’s I have for my video. I would like to base my video on anarchy and portray individuality through the lead character. The song I have chosen will allow me to use these ideas as it has the same kind of theme, this song is 'Schools are Prisons' which does not already have a music video. It is from the punk genre so I will be using some conventions similar to those in punk videos.The song is about how education takes away the years we can never get back and doesn't actually teach you how to stand on your own two feet outside of school and how to feel free. I like the idea of the song as I have seen articles related to the topic 'Schools are being turned into "prisons" as children are subjected to increasingly sophisticated surveillance and security measures,' (reference to an article).

I would like to use a simple storyline in my video as a complicated one distracts from the visual impact and lyrics of the song. To show the message of the song and express the depth of the lyrics I have decided to base the video around a male teenager in school who is sick of feeling trapped inside school. As the lyrics imply lack of freedom I will show examples of entrapment through the lead character. The video will start with close up shots of fences around the school will show how the students are trapped inside. This then cuts to a typical classroom, modern day setting. Teenage boy is bored of the lesson and begins daydreaming, and this then cuts to more shots of fences in front of outside of the school and shots of CCTV cameras will make the school seem as though the students are being watched the way prisoners are. One student comes late and before the teacher allows him to enter the lesson he is being stopped and searched the same way a prisoner is. The students will be wearing modern punk wear to represent their individuality and also a development of punk in the 21st century. Shots of students messing around in the classroom will show them breaking free from rules signifying anarchy. As my video will be both performance based and narrative based I will have shots of a band playing in a small room to enhance the portrayal of entrapment. High angle shots will make it look as if the band are being caught on camera which sybolises the security measures used in prisons. i will possibly use shots of students behind the fences will make them seem like prisoners behind bars or close-up shots of students singing the lyrics 'schools are prisons' to show a students response of feeling trapped in school. At the end the lead character is shown trying to escape and goes on top of a roof, from there he throws down papers from his school work, this shows him breaking free from education and portrays anarchy through the character. Other students climb on the roof following the boys example and begin having fun with him. A shot of the papers falling down in slow motion will finish the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment